Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer Gardening

  I am probably toiling in vain.  I have not had a great garden in over 3 years, but I still plant on.  I just turned over my last failed garden. I have no idea if I will continue to use the failed garden site or start something new.    Either way, I had to plant!06182011494

I am using old seed trays that I get from my friend, who is a watermelon farmer.  I used the dirt pods, but I found that the seed trays work better with potting soil.  So I got these planted on a Saturday and by Thursday morning they looked like this!06232011539

Amazing!  I plan to get pumpkins started too.  So far the butternut squash is up the fastest and most consistent.  After 2 weeks being planted they look like this!

07022011583

I am very excited.  I took the green beans and planted them in a container.  This is not really the best time to plant green beans.   I went ahead and put them in a container, because my garden spot will get too wet. So we will see.

07042011593

You can see I am using my recycling container.  I did stick a few corn seeds in, just to see what happens.

I am concerned about my squash and cantaloupes.  I will have to plant them in the ground very soon, but I am worried about the water.  Then with my gourds, I have got to figure out where to plant them and let them climb.  I have a few ideas, but it will require work.

 

This is my first time focusing on containers to plant.

~trish

1 comment:

  1. Keep going Trish!!!! It looks great!! I know you will see results soon. I just got caught up on all your home school posts too. You are doing a fab job!!! Keep up the good work!!!
    Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete