Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Shell Factory – Nature Park

Our current unit study is crocodilians.  We have read and watched all about them and we were ready to see them in person.  I found out about a little gem that was within an hour from us, so our of first adventures (aka field trippin’) was at the Shell Factory’s Nature Park.  I had never been to the Nature Park before, but we gave it a try, because we heard that you can feed the alligators there.

The alligators were amazing. I must admit this is the best up-close encounter that I have ever had. Then to be able to throw these little pellets to feed them, even better.

DSC09088

There was somewhere between 6-10 gators in the little slough, but it was perfect to have a great discussion about everything we have read about them.

DSC09092

I must say, if you live in the area of Charlotte, Lee, or Collier County, the Shell Factory has a lot to offer.  It is a small, low budget nature park, but their collection of animals was beyond my expectations.

They had a snake room with lizards and toads.  Of course, not my most favorite spot, but I put up a great front for the kids.  Well until my special little man snuck up behind me  and poked me with a feather.  I shot straight up to the ceiling screaming.  So much for keeping up appearances for my kids.

DSC09102

If you are studying dinosaours, there is a little walk that has several of the dinos.  With the little walk being over grown, it kind of gave me the he-bee gee-bees.  well, the sounds in the background of dinos roaring help the feel.

DSC09118

the place also was kickin’ it for some hands on oppurtunities.

DSC09215

DSC09180

The bird atriums have led to a lot of request to daddy to build one at home.  I have had pictures drawn of this experience.  In fact, the experience gave me a the opportunity to see a new side of my daughter and her love of birds.  I am not sure if she is even aware of it.

This is a great price for the 2 days.  We did make 2 trips to the park and had even more fun on the second day.  You can buy a year pass for a total of 6 people for $100.  We will make the investment on our next visit.DSC09136DSC09135

if you do make it down there, keep in mind they have events each day, so time your visit right.  And if it get too hot, there is the shell factory gift shop that is huge.  In the gift, shop there is a large exhibit of animals from Africa.

       DSC09282

~trish

No comments:

Post a Comment