Saturday, July 9, 2011

Revised 2011-2012 Curriculum

Crazy.  We are going for a more unschooling approach on my curriculum.  So we will by pass a set curriculum and move through topics on the subjects.  Some things, I will still need, but mostly we will be using what the library has.  This will be kind to my overly cramp house and tight wallet.

Reading/Phonics We will track our first 100 books read for the year by each child.  If the 3 year old wants in, than it will be accumulative until she is reading.

Preschooler: Alphabet.

Kindergarten:  BOB Books!  We will be using the approach presented by www.teachingwithbob.blogspot.com.

1st grader: 

  1. Continue on with Bob books.  (I will actually have to place her, to see what set she is in.)
  2. A reason for Spelling.  I know I said no workbooks, but this one is a gem so far, she is already 3 weeks into it.
  3. The endless supply of easy readers from the library.  We will move through the levels, until we can move to chapter books.  She is really excited about chapter books.

Penmanship: Copy work baby!  So we will progress with tracing, rewrites, and one day, just copying from a book.  All in notebook paper, well, and some from www.donnayoung.org.

Math:

Kindergarten: Patterns, counting, measuring, adding 1 more, adding/subtraction, money, calendar, graphing, shapes.

1st grade: counting to 100, skip counting, telling time, patterns, number order, adding/subtract single and double digit, place value, comparing, calendar, graphing, fractions

Unit Studies: We will do this with lap books, reading aloud, field trips, crafts, and what ever else that gets our fancy tickled. We will do it for until we had enough of it and move on.  It will probably be influenced by Netflix.

So how is that?  Pretty short for a list!  I really think I am going to like this.  By staying away from the workbooks and sticking to a topic, it will force us to be primarily hands on. Hands on is what my kids do best. This is where I have to give my love out for umbrella schools! 

Because we are part of an umbrella school, I do not have to have any of my curriculum or daily lesson plans reviewed.  We can do what is best for our kids, without being bogged down with crazy paperwork.  Not to say, that I won’t record what we do.  I am their mom, who in this world  do you think wants any better for them than me?  I know my kid best.  I expect the best.  I do not need to have them evaluated, so I can be told I did it right.  I will know where my children are at.  But not to say, I might get them tested now and then, just to see.

~trish

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting your curriculum. I look forward to following what you do and then doing the same in our house!!

    ReplyDelete