Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Our 2011-2012 Course of Study

 

 

We are using a lot of what I have had in the past.  The main reason is, in the last 3 years I have purchased a lot of different things and either didn’t finish it or just never used it.  (ESPECIALLY WORKBOOKS!  Yikes!)

My other thing is my 1st grader would be great with workbooks and creative play, my kindergartener, not so much.  He quickly bores in a workbook.  I will use a workbook to keep use on course, but he will be using a lot of hands on learning and games.

The Kindergartener – Mr. Family Clown

Phonics: We will be using My Father’s World (MFW) K Curriculum for systematically introducing sounds.  He know most of the letters, but I want to be sure that he has a strong foundation.

 

We will also be using Learn to read in 100 Lessons.  I love this book!  I used it on my last year K, while she was still in school.  She immediately began jumping through their frequency words, because she could read them.  I know it says that they are not to sound them out, but up until then, the words were just shapes that she was trying to know the names of.  Too much guessing.

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

For my Mr. family Clown, this is work.  I will be pulling him along the entire way through this book, but it will be a great investment of energy and patience.

Penmanship: We are winging it, but plan to do a lot of writing. MFW has 1 day a week of penmanship in the curriculum.  I will be also be using the printables from www.DonnaYoung.com, she has a set of printables to go along with teach your kid to read.  Of course, we will be using our notebooks.

Math: We will be counting 100 days of school and tracking the calendar.  we will be using the Spectrum Math Workbook to keep us on track.

Math, Grade K (Spectrum)

We will also be using Hands on Math for K-1 grades, to help us from getting too bored and not making me invent too many activities.

Hands-on Math, Gr. K-1, Second Edition

 

My 1st Grader – Ms. Helper

Phonics:

We are finishing off Learn to read in 100 Lessons.  We will also be doing a lot of reading.

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

A Reason for Spelling! - A

-

We are already working through the phonics review.  It is most definitely a review for her.  I look forward to getting her into the spelling.

Grammar:

Spectrum Language Arts – 1

Spectrum Language Arts Grade 1 [Book]

Printables from Starfall

Penmanship:

www.donnayoung.org

Math:

Spectrum Math –1

Spectrum Math: Grade 1 [Book]

Hands on Math k-1

 

Unit Studies:

We will be using the My Father’s world K curriculum of unit studies for each letter.  we are picking up where we left off at last year, even though my son will be doing the phonics from scratch.  I plan to take as long as we want to on each unit.  The nice part is that there are great hands on projects for the kids to do in each study.

So we will be starting off with Bird Nest.  So once, I begin planning that, I will post all the information I am using for that Unit study.

~trish

No comments:

Post a Comment