Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Phonic Word Wall Book




I bought Systematic Sequential Phonics about 2 years ago, but I found my then Pre-K, but almost 5 year old was not ready.  So it got shelved. 


As I am organizing our school supplies, I came across it and realized it would fit nicely into our first grade work.  I think it could work good for even kindergarten, but my boy is just not there yet.

So this book does a nice job telling mom what to do!  Oh, I like that.  So it has reproducible pages in the back, so you can make your own alphabet tiles and a word building worksheet.

Things I like:
  • Lessons are grouped by 5 with a focus for each week, systematically introducing letters a few at a time.
  • It only takes about 10-15 minutes to do the lesson on a one on one basis.
  • There is no prep work for the lesson besides photocopy of the word building worksheets (optional) and the prep work of making the letter tiles.
  • I do not have to review the lesson before I teach it, I read it for the first time as do the lesson.
  • Tract the words they learn.
I did find the book on Amazon for about $13-18.  I can tell you that it makes me sick, I bought mine a couple years ago for $26, yikes!  I have found the local teacher stores have a tendency to be more money.

So having just a little space, I have been trying to figure out how to make a home school word wall.  So with some work I did this.

I am using the 4 by 6 index cards.  I used some good card stock for the covers.  I printed out the letter tabs and the cover onto card stock and got my mommy tools out to do the job!
 To get my home made tabs strong, I folded them in half, added  some good glue and a clothespin.

Finally, with the use of a good hole punch and some ribbon to bind it. Of course, you could just get a binder and do it that way.  See thanks to pinterest, I was inspired by!
Summer ABC Book


To make it easy for you, click here for the wood wall tabs.
Have a great day teaching!
~trish

No comments:

Post a Comment