Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Grade School Workbooks from the Store

So it has been a few weeks since I have got back with you.  We are slowly moving back in line with our routine.  Trying out that new school really threw a monkey a wrench in sense of order.  Somehow after 3 weeks, we are finally looking some form of normal, well normal to us.

Of course, we are still finding what works for us.  The freedom that comes with being able to find what works best, also leads to a lot of time searching.  Daddy had a lot of issues of not “seeing” enough done, so I had to institute a worksheet attack on my kids.  Poor little things.  To provide a large amount of comfort, I picked up a complete curriculum from the big warehouse store for under $10.

1st Grade (Scholastic Success With)

I really like this workbook set.  I also have the one for Kindergarten.  Of course, I realize after writing in them it is 100%, A OKAY!  to reproduce. I like so many things about the book, except the reading comprehension.  I find that the writing within the reading comprehension section is weak, wordy, unfocused, and wandering.  I really like the way that the text is presented and it makes for a great work book.  Next issue, apparently it is now Out Of Print and there are not many copies available ANYWHERE. If I collect an entire elementary school set of them it would probably be well worth it and cost only $100.

Now here is my confession.  This is my opinion and is meant for only my own self reflection.  I feel like I am not being a “good” homeschool mom by using this as a core to my teaching.  They are great books and for the money, they are superb!  BUT!  I envision a homeschool mom knowing the special handshake, flashing an awesome homeschool club ID card to get into the most exclusive backroom curriculum stores in the figment of my imagination.  This is where they sell the hidden style of teaching and books to go with it, that really work.

Let’s face it, these kids are not going to teach themselves and we mommas have got to figure out what works for them, us, and the budget.  Expensive shine text books and programs do not make smarter kids. 

So currently, I am ripping pages out and sticking them under my kids noses to do.  Lots of writing and a bit more structured.  Now being almost 2 weeks into doing it, they are getting the hang of it.  And the daddy is getting compliant again, so it most be getting better.

Logistics – It really comes down to the logistics for me.  We are 2 months in, we haven’t really nailed ourselves down to a set curriculum yet.  (i.e., each week it is something new, it seems.)  How could this workbook work for us? 

  • Well, the core of what we need to do with them is covered. It is keeping us progressing at level with minimal effort from me, so score! 
  • It allows me to have a better view of what they really are understanding and not, so we can further work on it. 
  • Although it takes up more of their time right now, it is freeing up my mental ability to work on more fun things for them.
  • Plus, we still stay on track when the baby takes up my primary attention.

So it works for us at 1st grade and kindergarten.  I whole heartedly want to gobble up the other books and add them to my library, but part of me knows that it is questionable if I will finish up the year with them, much less use them again next year.

~trish

What is your take on these workbooks?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think using these workbooks makes you any less of a 'good' homeschooling mama! I think it's perfectly fine to use them, especially when you're still working out what works best for you guys. Plus, I am sure you're not just handing it over to them and wishing them "luck" on it. If that were the case, and you ONLY had them using these workbooks, with no other supplements, then, personally, I don't think it's such a great idea. ... Having a little sit-down work structure won't hurt. I love to keep moving with Bug, and go along with what she wants, when she wants. But I've even been adding in worksheets and things. ... You're a good mama! Keep up what you've been doing, because you know best for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks mom2desiree. I have found a small issue that I have been busy moving through the content without learning the content. My first grader is absorbing most of it, but then I wonder with a typical concern I have, are they trying to introduce Parts of Speech so early that it might be at the expense of fostering a love of writing? I love having these books handy, but I am rethinking on relying on them heavily and sticking to them in a since to reference and reinforce. The big club store is Sam's Club, Cosco, BJ Warehouse, for example.

    ReplyDelete